KRLA.ORG | 134 BRECKINRIDGE LANE, LOUISVILLE, KY 40207 | 502-895-5959 | MARCH 1, 2015
Your Legislative Initiatives
So many bills are shouting for attention in Part 1 of the Ky. Legislative Session that ends March 2, and Part 2 ends March 24, 2015. You can read a summary of all Kentucky health-related bills on KRLA.org's News page that features a dynamic list of bills aggregated and published by Legiscan.com.
Hmmm... we see "Direct the Office of the Secretary, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, to conduct a study of e-cigarette usage..." and "Create a new section of KRS 2015... to define fair market value, when considered for Medicaid eligibility, to mean an estimate of the value of an asset..." and "establish the Office of the Kentucky Benefit and Health Information Exchange to administer the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; establish the Kynect Advisory Board..." None of these seem nearly as important as our bills that would protect the unborn!
The people at Legiscan.com want everyday people to be in the know so they can speak out to their legislators. We feel just the same. With the short window for action, today is the best time to contact your legislators as well as those on the House Health and Welfare Committee. Please refer to our Feb. 14 eletter for full information.
Legiscan reports on bills' sponsorship, course of progress and language including amendments. The "Ultrasound Informed Bill" states:
- Prior to a woman giving informed consent to having any part of an abortion performed, the physician who is to perform the abortion shall:
- (a) Perform an obstetric ultrasound on the pregnant woman;
- (b) Provide a simultaneous explanation of what the ultrasound is depicting, which shall include the presence and location of the unborn child within the uterus and the number of unborn children depicted and also, if the ultrasound image indicates that fetal demise has occurred, inform the woman of that fact;
- (c) Display the ultrasound images so that the pregnant woman may view them; and
- (d) Provide a medical description of the ultrasound images, which shall include the dimensions of the embryo or fetus and the presence of external members and internal organs, if present and viewable.
Read more on Legiscan.com.