ON JANUARY 22, 1973, seven of the nine Justices of the United States Supreme Court, disregarding prior legal traditions, overwhelming biological evidence and the ethical traditions of the majority of the American people, struck down the abortion laws of all 50 states. Their action made abortion-on-demand, at virtually every stage of pregnancy, legal throughout our country. As a consequence of this raw judicial power, nearly a million and a half unborn babies are legally put to death by abortion each year in our nation.
Kentucky Right to Life Association (KRLA), founded in 1973, serves as the state coordinating body for local Right to Life Chapters representing tens of thousands of Kentucky citizens. We are a volunteer, non-profit organization composed of grassroots people of different political persuasions, faiths, and economic, social and ethnic backgrounds.
KRLA exists for one reason: to restore legal protection to those members of our human family who are threatened by abortion, infanticide, or euthanasia. Diverse though we are, we hold one common belief: That every human being has an inalienable right to life, a life that is precious and must be protected.
Who We Are, What We Do...
The guarantee to the right to life of every human being, no matter how young, how old, how poor, or how handicapped, is the single issue that will determine the future of America. That is why thousands of caring individuals all across the state have volunteered their time and talents to KRLA. The world we bequeath to our children rests upon our willingness to get involved right now. The many ways we work to get the job done include building a strong and viable membership, educating ourselves and others, fund-raising, legislative action, voter surveys, and promoting alternatives to abortion and euthanasia.
Facts about Life
- Human life starts at conception.
- A unique life with its own DNA begins at the moment of fertilization. We all begin as a single cell or "zygote" when sperm meets egg. We have 100,000+ genes at conception.
- Did you know as a preborn baby you had your own blood and not your mom's?
- That is why your mom's blood type may be "O" and yours could be "A".
- Abortion is legal at all stages of pregnancy, from conception until birth.
- We now know from recent news that babies are also killed after they are born, by abortionists and their assistants.
- By nine weeks (about two months) all structures for feeling pain are functioning.
- Learn more about FETAL DEVELOPMENT.